As part of Celebrate Fairfax Inc.’s (CFI) Mission “to Celebrate Fairfax County and Its Communities,” the Celebrate Fairfax Community Spirit Scholarship Program recognizes and provides scholarships to ten graduating high school seniors currently enrolled in a Fairfax County Public School.
Recipients are recognized for their community involvement, academic accomplishment, extracurricular activities and demonstrated leadership.
Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 11:59pm
Applicants must do all of the following to be considered for the Community Spirit Scholarship Program:
- Submit a brief essay of 250-500 words that will provide the scholarship judging committee an understanding of the positive effects of the student’s community service and community spirit.
- Submit a copy of the student’s academic transcript. This may be included as a .pdf of the unofficial transcript at the time of application or may be emailed or mailed by the student’s guidance counselor. Please note – that all transcripts are subject to and expected to be verified by the scholarship committee. Transcripts must either be uploaded through the application site at the time of submission or no later than March 15th.
Community Spirit Scholarship Awards:
The candidate who has the best combination of community involvement, organizational and community leadership, academic accomplishments, and extracurricular activities shall be named the Fairfax County Community Spirit Scholar and receive a $2,500 award for use during their freshman year at any accredited college or university.
Additionally, one student from each of the 9 Fairfax County Supervisory Districts shall be named District Community Spirit Scholars (i.e.: the Mount Vernon Community Spirit Scholar), and each shall receive a $1,000 award.
Scholarship applicants will be evaluated considering the following criteria:
- Service to the communities of Fairfax County
- Academic accomplishments
- Leadership in academic, extracurricular and/or community service
- A brief essay/personal statement (250-500 words) describing the positive effects of the student’s community service and community spirit
Scholarship recipients will be honored at the Celebrate Fairfax, Inc.’s Award Ceremony, with guests to include community and Fairfax County leaders, elected officials, program sponsors, members of the CFI Board of Directors, and other awarded recipients and special guests.
Scholarship recipients will be required to provide proof of residency as well as proof of acceptance by an accredited college, junior college, university, or adult/technical vocational school. Members of the immediate family of any CFI employee, Board Member or Scholarship Program judging committee are ineligible. Dependents of the authorized representatives of the Celebrate Fairfax! Festival sponsor are also negligible.
Funding for the Community Spirit Scholarship Program comes solely from contributions made to the Celebrate Fairfax Education Fund and other CFI initiatives. Please contact: email@example.com.
For Scholarship Questions: Trinity.Yansick@FairfaxCounty.gov